01 March 2008

The Calm Before the Storm

Someone asked me for whom will I be voting. Without batting an eyelid, 'Obama'. Alright, hold on to your horses. It wasn't really a sensible answer, but then again, I was trying to make a point.

When I look at the candidates running for GE2008, I don't see a single soul that inspires me. Each and every one of them lacks the charm, the charisma, the 'wow' factor needed to give a voter like me a sense of passion for elections. The only thing exciting about elections is the possibility one or two results might spring a surprise or shocker. Personally, I've been following the elections since 1990, and it's always the same, sad story. I harbour hopes for a change, and end up disillusioned. I reckoned the 1999 roll would bring about some alterations to the Parliament make-up, but it generally fell way below expectations. 2004 was a whitewash cause everyone gave the rosy impression that Malaysia was one big united happy family.

When I look at the candidates, I see false promises, I see hidden agendas, I see ineptitude. More so because I've been living for so long in an area devoid of any real opposition. Oh, to be British and be wooed by Tony Blair. The Americans have two charismatic Democrat candidates vying for the honour to challenge for the Presidency. Heck, even the Thai polls were full of intrigue and no one would have predicted Thaksin returning to Bangkok.

Despite all this cynicism, could there be hope? Could GE2008 be the turning point for Malaysian politics, the watershed of Malaysian democracy? I dare not hope, but I will always dream.

It's confirmed, after many weeks of speculation, that the Malaysian GE2008 will be held on 8 March. For one last time, let's do it. Let's vote for the change we yearn for, and hope that finally we taste that change. In the words of that seminal classic, 'marilah mar, kita mengundi'. Onward march!

(Image from wikipedia)



No comments: