11 April 2008

Burdett's Bangkok Trilogy

What can I say, what should I say, what will I say.

About the Bangkok trilogy [sic].

At first glance, John Burdett's novels come across as yet another attempt by a middle-aged Caucasian trying to unveil the sleaze and corruption that is synonymous with the backstreets of Bangkok. Yet, delving deeper into his novels, and I find the bloke has, almost, a native's grasp of the goings-on in one of the most vibrant cities in the world. It doesn't hurt having been to Bangkok a couple of times. All the 'landmarks' are there, from Patpong to the dodgy sois.

Burdett weaves fact, fiction and surrealism, and the result is a slightly over-the-top trilogy of books revolving around the investigative skills of Detective Sonchai Jitpleecheep. I found the laidback detective quite engaging, not the run-of-the mill dashing P.I with a gun and a quivering member. Not a cop who is disillusioned and thinks only of downing whiskey shots and screwing every skirt that appears on the pages. So protagonist wise, Burdett had me at page 1.

The story unfolds slowly, irritatingly slow at times, but is littered with plenty of 'insider information', if you wish. Obviously Burdett is one author who has done extensive research into Bangkok, digging deep into the underbelly of the city, and not just merely defecating words that most ignorant tourists also know about Bangkok by heart - sleaze, go-go bars, girls in go-go bars and crooked cops. No, what we get is a deeper understanding of the enigmatic City of Angels, and a firmer grasp of the complexities of the apparently-simple Thai society.

What I don't dig is the ending to each novel. I'm all for twists and turns and stings in the tails, but the magnitude of the surrealism interwoven with the finale leaves a mildly dissatisfied taste on my perceived literary taste buds. Most of us crave a clean ending to any whodunit, maybe with enough of a trail for a sequel, though an open-ended approach is more my preference. Not intending to spoil any potential reader's anticipation, let me just say that the endings could be better, while maintaining the surrealistic feel that accompanies each of the three novels.

All in all, a must read. Followed by a visit to Krungthep (that's Bangkok to the uninitiated).

No comments: