18 April 2008

My Playlist

What makes a song the 'best'?

Is it easy listening?

Or is it because the listener is able to connect to the lyrics, to be able to feel as though the song was written for him/her?

Could it be the poignant or profound words? The catchy melody? The infectious beat?

So what would my 'best' list be, you ask. Well, currently, my favoured songs are (in their respective categories)

Best slow rock song: Stairway to Heaven
Haunting, depressing and utterly jiwang.

Most sensuous song: That's the Way Love Goes
I reckon this is Janet Jackson's best song ever. Smooth and sexy with a touch of eroticism (the song, that is).

Best love song: The Power of Love
This is simply the best love song ever. 'Love, with tongues of fire'…hair-raising, I tell you.

Best song to listen to when depressed: Let It Be
Like the four mopheads from Merseyside say, 'let it be'.

Best song to chill with: Roads
Super melancholic, dark and seamless. I think it's from Portishead's Dummy album.

Best R&B/Hip-hop song: Diamonds from Sierra Leone
One of the few covers around that pays homage to the original.

Best pop song: Come Undone
Firstly, pop is Duran Duran! Now that I've got that out of the way, listen to this song. Everything essential for a pop tune is in it, except the cheesy synthesizers.

Best dance song: Bring it back
A seminal dance classic by Moloko. Slightly shades Britney's Piece of Me, Moby's Body Rock and Sophie's Groovejet.

Best break-up song ever: I don't Want You Back
If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that there are 37 'fucks' and derivatives in this Eamon single. I strongly recommend it for the day after Valentine's.

Best happy hour song: Purple Rain
After a couple of whiskeys, this song get better and better. A real Royal salute.

So there you have it folks. Not the most comprehensive of lists, I warrant. But a decent playlist, at the very least.

No comments: