17 December 2008

yuletide yodelling

A week to go, and I haven't decided what to do on Christmas Eve, still. I'm torn between clubbing, gathering around the Christmas tree and sipping Irish coffee, or sitting at home and vegetating in front of the TV. No doubt Hallmark will surely have some reruns of Yuletide heart-warmers, and there's always a chance that A Christmas Carol will be played. But somehow the thought of staying glued to the idiot box on a night when everyone else will be out and about doesn't quite appeal to me, now that I've put text to screen. An outing it is then.

But where o where? There's an event at Bar Savanh Too, and I'm 99% sure other spots will be having some money-making activities as well - tis the period to jack up alcohol prices and increase cover charges. So much for this being the season to give and share. Real shylocks. Back to my contemplation. The Curve would be a good alternative; the decorations there are quite impressive, though I can't say the same about the patrons. Perhaps a quiet night reading at Starbucks while watching the world pass by doesn't seem such a bad idea, does it?

I don't reckon any of my accomplices will be around during Xmas Eve; almost everyone I know has plans, or has plans to make plans, or are awaiting confirmation of pre-planned plans. It's a sign of changing times, in a way. Ten years ago (sounds better than 11 or 12 years ago) I would have had a dozen plans lined up the moment December came into existence. My, how times have evolved. The past couple of years have seen plans being made barely several hours away from the stroke of midnight. Just looking back, I haven't spent a Christmas alone as a singleton since, hmm, 1994. Fourteen years, a long time ago indeed. Back when the stomach was flatter and the face fresher. I really should write a post reminiscing the years long gone sometime in the near future.

Alright, I'm stepping away from the mists of the Christmases past.

No comments: