06 June 2008

Euro 2008

The Euros are finally here.

After months of anticipation and worrying about who's in and who's out of the squad, the final reckoning will kick start tomorrow (7 June) when Switzerland takes on the Czechs. Not exactly the high profile match one would have expected in arguably the toughest international competition around (yes, it would seem the Euro is harder to win than the World Cup).

My prediction on which team in going to win this edition is pretty much crystal clear. But lest I sound like a typical English supporter (blah-blah-blah), I thought I'd do a run through of the four groups and my expected qualifiers. Further than that, I will not warrant a guess, cause we all know who's going to win, right? (Faint sounds of Deutschland Uber Alles in the background).

Group A: Switzerland; Czech Republic; Portugal; Turkey
This is one of the most open groups in the tournament. On paper, Portugal and the Czech Republic appear clear favourites. But I'm not too convinced about that. I think Turkey will have something to say about the qualifying two. And if the Swiss avoid defeat in the first two matches, the Portuguese will not have it easy by any means when they play the co-hosts at St Jakob Park. The Swiss would surely be fired-up by the cowbells if they needed a result against the Iberians.
My prediction: Portugal and Turkey

Group B: Germany; Austria; Croatia; Poland
Quite clear cut, I must say. I expect Poland to offer some semblance of a fight against the Croats, but all things considered, if Germany and Croatia don't proceed to the quarterfinals, it would be a great shock of epic proportions.
My prediction: Germany and Croatia

Group C: Romania; Italy; Netherlands; France
Alright, there you have it, the necessary Group of Death. And I still believe there are four teams capable of qualifying, even though most pundits are quick to write off Romania. Romania has long had a reputation as the most technically gifted side in the Europe, if not the world. And I don't expect them to keel over easily as some might suggest. I have a strong feeling (or is that indigestion?) that either Netherlands or the French will screw up big time. Donadoni has made some unexplainable decisions by dropping Inzaghi and not appealing to Nesta's patriotism. But I do expect their defence to stand firm, even without Cannavaro. Ribery and a host of young African-French players should dazzle on paper, but I reckon the Bayern man is running on empty. An excellent campaign seems to have fatigued him, while I see another nonchalant performance from Henry. And Netherlands might once again succumb to in-fighting, though they seem more unified this time around having discarded Seedorf and Davids.
My prediction: Italy and Romania

Group D: Sweden; Greece; Spain; Russia
I see Spain screwing up, I seriously do. The final game against Greece has 0-0 written all over it, despite the Spaniards' scoring prowess. And the Russian will surely be buoyed by Zenit's unexpected triumph in the UEFA Cup. But Arshavin's suspension for the match against Spain will hurt them surely. I still think Russia's qualification was due more to the inconsistency shown by England, Israel and themselves rather than footballing prowess. The defending champions, if they go down, will not go down without a fight. The dogged defence might still prevail, but scoring will be the Achilles heel. They have the look of finishing undefeated in the group and still exiting. Sweden will play well, though Larsson's inclusion breathes of desperation by the Swedish coach to avoid play funnelling to Ibrahimovic. And he hasn't exactly performed in international football.
My prediction: Spain (yes, i know) and Greece

Well, that's my take on the group stages. Pity the timings are all off, so I doubt I'll be watching most of the games. Then again, Red Bull has been improving its sleep-fighting ingredients, so you just never know. I might even watch Austria against Poland.



No comments: