07 January 2009

the bug bites again


There's something very strange going on at home. Sometime deep into the night, the power trips and there's no electricity. It's been happening since Sunday night, as far as I know, and only occurs at extremely late hours. I'm not sure about the first two nights, but last night the lights went out at around 4.45AM. And it kept going off despite the power switch being turned on each time. I think it only stabilised at around 6ish. Really weird, I tell you.

A case of a poltergeist perhaps? A long-departed spirit of some TNB staff maybe? Whatever the cause, it's bloody irritating; I've been beleaguered with restless sleep for days now, what with the weather being all hot and humid. Don't be fooled by the occasional downpour, we're moving slowly but surely into the dreaded hot season.


I have this sudden craving to visit Laos, for yet another strange reason unknown. I've no idea why, just thought I'd check out Vientiane, and maybe Cambodia if I've the time, and more importantly, the money. All I have to do is wait for Airasia (yes, them again) to drop its fares and it's off to Indochina I go. However, I'll need to do some background research first (enter Wikitravel) cause climate is a big factor; the difference between a wonderful holiday and a miserable one. With the latest developments in my financial state of affairs, though, I don't foresee going anytime within the next three months (CNY would have been a perfect time to go, if circumstances were kinder).

Ah well, good things come to those who wait. I've already identified the hotel I want to stay at; the same one Hunter S. Thompson stayed at after the fall of Saigon. I'm a real sucker for colonial-style hotels; be it French, English or Dutch. Hence one of the things on my to-do list is spend several nights in the E&O in Penang.


Back to my travel plans (which I hope are not mere castles in the sky), I wonder how much it'll cost to do a tour of Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. Of course, being used to relative comforts will help expand the expenditure by quite a bit, but then again, why on Earth would I want to lay on some straw mattress in some dingy-looking insect-infested motel eh? I'm a child of the modern age; I need my spring mattress, duvet, hot water, cable TV and room service. I would also like to include Hanoi in my travel itinerary, but principles prevent me from doing so. There are some things I can let slide, and there are some things I will not turn a blind eye to; Vietnam comes under the latter.

So if anyone out there has any useful info on Laos (and I really mean useful), your two cents would be most appreciated. And please don't start by telling me it's safer to drink bottled water; that applies to almost every country in Asia. And yes, I will take charcoal tablets (activated carbon to the pedant).

No comments: