05 January 2009

Enter 2009 (splutter splutter)


And thus another year begins.

Pity it began on the wrong foot, personally that is. Being broke by the 1st of January is no cause for celebration, by any stretch of the imagination. Being broke because one's money got stolen makes things even worse. Ah well, maybe it's some sort of cosmic metaphysical interplay. Previously, the trend had been to start the new year rich and end it broke; maybe it'll be the other way round this time, which would mean that I'd be loaded come Christmas 2009 onwards.

Then there's the question of resolutions. I'm beginning to resent the word, probably the most over-used word in the month of December, every year. Who really cares about what you've set out to do or not do, at the end of the day? Resolutions just make good fodder for idle chatter and nothing more.

On a more 'serious' note, I've decided to give up drink, indefinitely. Why? I don't know, can't really distinguish a glass of whiskey coke from a cup of coffee, they all taste the same to me. And when one doesn't get a kick from drinking (and I don't mean tipsy), then there really is no point in contributing to the bartenders' pension fund, is there? I also plan to cut down on the cancer sticks somewhat drastically, and that's a necessity. I reckon 10-12 ciggies a day aren't too bad, for starters. And who knows, maybe I'll only light up a couple a day as the year draws to a close. Dare to hope, I say.


So yeah, 2009 is well and truly upon us, yet I don't exactly feel like jumping up and down. Maybe I'll feel more chirpy as the weeks walk on by, or if I get a sudden financial windfall (Go Toto!). Something in the region of a couple of million quid won't be too shabby, not at all.

No comments: