04 August 2008

even the best laid plans get laid

Another slow weekend. Sigh

What had seemed to be to a potentially fun two days fizzled out without a whimper as the best laid plans went kaput. Nobody's fault, just one of those unfortunate series of events that waylaid the itinerary. On saying that, I could have still gone ahead with the planned activities, but there's something not quite right about going drinking alone.

However, I managed to salvage the weekend by some small measure; watched Sleuth and Apocalypto. Two intriguing movies that had me glued to the idiot box in anticipation. Most would know the latter, a Mel Gibson-directed flick about the Mesoamerican civilisation. One word: gore. Sleuth was a mind-boggler. A grand ensemble of two - Michael Caine, and the actor touted to be the new Michael Caine, Jude Law. It elicited a 'wtf' reaction from all of us at the end, and kept the grey matter suitably stirred for the subsequent ten minutes or so. If I didn't know better, I would have thought it a Stanley Kubrick film.

It would seem that Facebook is the best way to rebuild my social life, or so I've been enlightened. Other than sustaining many a bruise due to incessant pokes, I know not how. Yeah, there are plenty of invites and such, but it's not quite the real deal, is it? If these invitations were meant for a particular circle of socialites, then I'd swear by it. In truth, most of the time the invitations are nothing more than e-brochures distributed to the masses, i.e. potentially any Tom, Dick or Harry could attend, and they usually do. And no, Cavell's weekly retro night is NOT an event.

And four years after every sane person weaned off Friends, I've become hooked. So yes, Saturday and Sunday afternoons are exclusively booked for watching reruns of the sitcom, five episodes each day back-to-back. Ironic how it has taken my such a long time to finally appreciate the six protagonists and their daily grind in New York, New York. Considering the series stretched from 1993 to 2004, I have quite a bit of catching up to do. And why am I hooked? Uncomplicated humour with a feel-good twist. Sometimes simple comedy can be equally as entertaining as witty lines. I draw the line at slapstick and toilet humour, though. Unless the main character is Mr Bean (does anyone know his first name?).

Looking forward, football season starts in two weeks time; almost all the major European leagues should be up and about by end August. Closer, hope to run a good D&D session this coming weeked, with Niks making a cameo. Fats will leaving on the 27th, so hopefully I can have at least one more session, either on the 16th or the 23rd.

Time for a cig. And hopefully, drinks this weekend. Watch this space.


No comments: