26 August 2008

of elections and erections


So did he or did he not? Will he or will he not? Guess that's what's playing on most people's minds this evening, as approximately 25 million people wait with bated breath for the results of the by-election in Permatang Pauh. Where? Permatang Pauh, Penang. I will not even do a Wiki to discover the exact location of what is currently the hottest political battlefield in the entire country. Even as many ponder if Anwar will win, a smaller number will be pondering if he did indeed take the back door, metaphorically speaking. It just goes to show how blatantly narrow minded Malaysians are, where the sexual preferences of so-and-so play an important part in determining if that person is suited for running a constituency or the nation. That, and his race, creed and religion. Forget capability, disregard integrity, ignore honesty; for these are insignificant traits.

Enough of Malaysian politics, I feel a rumble in the wide expanses of my tummy. Gym today? Mayhaps (is there such a word?) not. Still slightly woozy from the flu attack of three days ago, and my nasal passages have yet to be properly plumbered (?). But then the question arises, if not gym, where? Don't think anyone's around for tea, and Lotus is getting to be more than a bore these days. I'm tempted by Starbucks, or even Gloria Jeans; I've been carrying Anthony Burgess' The Long Day Wanes for more than four months in my bag, hoping to make reading it a routine after work. Not a chance, as yet. I have, on the other hand, started on the third and final installment of the late David Gemmell's Troy series, titles Fall of Kings. I'm hooked, yet again. I said that about the first book, I reiterated it about the second, and I'm setting it in stone for the third. Might I say, it's even better than Troy the feature film, which I feel should have been called Achilles: The One Man Show. For that was what it was, an ode to Brad Pitt's artificially bronzed physique and unreal killer moves, literally. Disappointing, as the movie clearly steers away from Homer's original gist. Ah well, that's Hollywood, isn't it?

A complete 180; Zoosk isn't that great. The way everyone (i.e. two people) was going on about what a great medium it was to meet singles, I thought it was some singles club. Alas, a sizeable number of Zooskers are attached, while a bigger number don't seem to remember that they have a Zoosk date card (Zoosk jargon). And there is something so wrong with putting up a baby or child's picture in the profile box. I mean, there's something fundamentally sick about someone flirting with a person who has a little girl as the profile picture. Fundamentally sick.

Anyways, it's 7.03 pm and there's still no update on the results. I should get a life and leave office now. I should.

No comments: