08 October 2008

it's kinda like a love song


Why a list, you ask? Well, a certain lovesick wine dealer kept harping on the fact that almost all the songs in my collection were lagu jiwang (that's love ballads). I put it down to audio delusions - when one is drowning in the sea of love, every song is a love song. Speaking from experience? Perhaps.

So yeah, what constitutes a good ol' love song? One that lifts your spirits, sending them soaring into the heavens? Or one that puts you in the mood for some 'hot stuff'? Or could it be one that makes you want to end life by jumping off a ship? To each lovestruck Romeo, his own. To every Juliet, there's always one that caresses her heart strings. I reckon a decent love song is one that makes you want to go out and find someone. Or, if attached, to drag him/her close and stoke the fires. Waxing lyrical, in more ways than one.


Here's a list, like the ones found in Girls'/Boys' Night Out/ In novels. I'd like to think the publishers of the series will one day ask for my list. Till then, remember, you read it here first.

Always on My Mind; Willie Nelson
A priceless lesson to be learnt here - always tell your partner in crime how much you love him/her/it. Don't wait till it's too late. You can just feel the regret old man Nelson is suffering from, the desire and wish to have spoken tender words of love long before they became meaningless. This song goes very well with a drink by the bar, preferably in a slumped over posture.

LOVE; Nat King Cole
If anyone asks you what love is, just sing this song. You'll either be celebrated as a sage, or never be asked the question again. Either way, a chirpy love song that espouses the elegant and bubbly 50's. Okay, maybe not in terms of society and world peace, but in terms of love and romance.

Loving You; Shanice
I find this a very innocent love song. La-la-la-la and all that. The original even has birds chirping in the background. And yes, loving someone is easy. It's just a matter of sustaining that love. This melody never fails to ferry me to the plains of nostalgia.

Faithfully; Journey
Powerful stuff. At one time, the most popular wedding song around. Vows of eternal love and loyalty, that's what you find in this song.

Truly; Lionel Richie
One of the best love songs to date. A huge karaoke favourite, though I've yet to meet a karaoker who's done the song justice. Simple, yet overwhelming. If I recall correctly, I performed a rendition, which was met by a standing ovation and glowing reviews during one of my company's do's. Truly.

Te Amo Corazon; Prince
Sensual Latin flavour accompanies Prince's lyrics in this song which is about the first encounter. I was never into Prince, but when I heard this song sometime in the 2000's, I had to have it on my playlist. Think salsa, sangria and sex. And a beach thrown in for good effect.

The Look of Love; Dianna Krall
Always preferred the cover to the original. The husky voice is complemented with the sultry beat. And the instrument which makes the chi-chi-chi sound, simply awesome. "Don't ever go, don't ever go...I love you so."

You Are So Beautiful; Joe Cocker
The song only comprises several lines, but what bloody good lines they are. All this crooner is saying is that his woman is beautiful to him. You can feel the love flowing through those simple words as he repeats them throughout the song. For added effect, watch Carlito's Way. You will be moved, I tell you. I'd also recommend this song for beauty hypnosis.

Sugar Pie Honey Bunch; The Four Tops
Bouncy, infectious and eternally exuberant. I just want to get up and do a jig every time I hear this song; which is quite often enough since I have it as a ringtone. The moment the notes from the piano start emanating, you just want to move your shoulders and snap your fingers. Yep, can't help myself.

The Power of Love; Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Dark, Gothic and melancholic, and it's a love song. Think Buffy meets Highlander. The melody just lifts your spirit, making you want to protect your lover from the dark forces of vampires and werewolves. Okay, a tad bit melodramatic. Seriously though, this is probably the only love song that I know of which fits perfectly in the original genre of Romanticism.

Beautiful Maria of My Soul; Antonio Banderas
The Spanish version. Hot, passionate, dangerously destructive. Especially if you've seen Armand Assante doing the scarf dance in the movie. Belts apparently don't work the same. But the horns and trumpets; blow, amigo, blow. Really listen to the song, and you can even detect the underlying tone of jealousy, as is the norm in every Latin lover, it would seem.

In the near future, out-of-love songs.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bleeeeeeeeeeaaargh!!!

me. said...

don't bluff, i know secretly you listen to those songs. it's okay, you know.

Anonymous said...

You forgot Sometimes when we touch-Dan Hill.

It fits in right there with all the others.

me. said...

Yep. Many good love songs out there. Others which didn't make the list include Eternal Love, Say a Little Prayer, Love will Bring you back etc.

Anonymous said...

Good love songs?
Oh my.
I don't think you quite got what I meant:P

me. said...

Yes I did.
Unfortunately I couldn't add in those by Razorlight and Blur...

Anonymous said...

Okay...I'm gonna pretend I understood that.